The intellect, spirit and MP5 tool
The intellect and spirit regen tool allows you to calculate the amount of regen you get from intellect and spirit. In addition, it shows you which stat will give you the best mana regeneration.
The regeneration of mana you get is subject to many factors:
- The % of regen you get while casting. For priests with Meditation, this is typically 30%.
- The % of time spent inside the FSR. This denotes how much time in the fight you had your regen while casting and how much time you had your regen while not casting. A good average is 85% for priest healers.
- The % of time you had replenishment. Replenishment depends on your manapool only, but depending on the fight there may be interruptions to replenishment. I believe 95% is a good average.
- The %-spirit bonus: the multiplicative bonus to which your spirit is subject, from Blessing of Kings or Spirit of Redemption for example.
- The %-intellect bonus: the bonus to which your intellect is subject, from Mental Strength or Blessing of Kings for example.
If, for example, I am a holy priest with Spirit of Redemption and Meditation. In a raid I tend to have 85% FSR, 95% replenishment. I wish to check the value of spirit, intellect and MP5 for my raidbuffed stats (when I have Blessing of Kings). I also wish that the graphic shows me when MP5 still yields more mana regen than either intellect or spirit. I fill in:
When submitting this form, the result would give me:
What does this all mean?
To explain what these numbers and colors mean, we'll examine 2 examples.
Example 1: 500 spirit, 700 intellect
500 spirit and 700 intellect yield 360 mp5. Hovering over this number gives us a tooltip that tells us:
- Adding 100 Spirit would yield 396mp5
- Adding 100 Intellect would yield 392mp5
- Adding 40 MP5 would yield 400mp5
Adding 40 MP5 yields the best result and thus the number is colored green.
Example 2: 900 Spirit, 700 Intellect
I would get 546 mana regen and the number is blue. When hovering over this number we see a tooltip that tells us:
- Adding 100 Spirit yields: 584 mp5
- Adding 100 Intellect yields: 587 mp5
- Adding 40 MP5 yields: 586 mp5
Since intellect will yield us the best increase in mana regen, the number is colored blue.
What can I do with this information?
This tool can show you a few things:
- The impact of stats on your mana regeneration: for example, in our results we could see that a fair ratio of intellect and spirit will yield the best results.
- The best regeneration stat: for each amount of stats, it also tells us which stat will give us the best mana regeneration. You could base yourself on this to decide whether you would stack MP5, spirit, intellect or aim for a nice mixture of these. In our results we could see that intellect and spirit gave the best outcome beyond 900 spirit and intellect. If we have less spirit and intellect than this, we could chose to stack MP5 for the best regen, or we could chose to stack more intellect and spirit, hoping to reach the 900 spirit and intellect value someday.
Further reading and discussion
The theory and results of this tool has been discussed in the article "The delicate balance between spirit and intellect". That discussion thread is hosted at PlusHeal. The PlusHeal community offers a nice place to discuss your mana regen, gear strategies and more. It's worth checking out if you have questions regarding your healer.